Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Mississippi moment of Zen

Last night at a stoplight in downtown Tupelo, as I drove back from dinner. Set the scene, I have the window down and am blaring Footloose (you know, classic 80's film of city boy moving to the country to stir things up and make good)...

A not quite-so-monster size truck pulls up alongside, and the passenger window comes down. Country music volume increases. I smile, and think 'uh, oh.' Reach over and turn my radio down, and still smiling, turn to look up at the passenger side of the truck:

"How ya doin'?" I say.
"Good. You?"
"I'm all right."
"Colorado, huh?" My rental's license plates...
"No, Washington, actually."
The driver leans in. "DC?"
"No. State."
"Oh...that's cool. Welcome to Tupelo!"

He cranks the music up even louder, they both start laughing, the light changes, and we are all on our way...

No comments: